Sunday, October 20, 2013

Rebellious Heart by Jody Hedlund

I won this book through a contest on Soul Inspirationz while I was overseas on a mission trip last month.  I was super excited when I got back as I had seen this book in the store but hadn't picked it up yet.  I wasn't sure how long it would take me to read it so I was waiting to read when I had plenty of time.  Today was that day and I was not disappointed.  It took me around 3 hours but I read the whole thing in one sitting.  I loved the fact that it was inspired by John and Abigail Adams.

The story is about Susanna Smith who is well off because of her family.  She has a desire for higher learning and to help the less fortunate.  However, since she is a woman, she is not allowed to pursue an education and so she learns what she can from the books in her father's library as well as by listening in on her younger brother's lessons.  She wants to marry someone well of so she will be able to continue to help those who are less fortunate.  Benjamin Ross is a lawyer who comes from a poor background.  His family sold some of their land so that he might attend Harvard to become a lawyer.  He returns to his hometown and is determined to make things better for the people there.  Susanna seeks his help in helping a runaway indentured servant.  However, in the process she and Benjamin endanger their hearts as well as the lives and well being of some of the people that are closest to them.

Jody Hedlund's Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment